Thursday, April 15, 2010

DIY Hardware

The Kitchen Before had chrome Hardware.
I am not too picky about the look of them (in fact, I prefer something more simple when it comes to cabinet handles), the style, but I AM picky about the color.

With how dark the countertops are in contrast with how light the cabinets are, I wanted dark hardware.

I LOVE the hinges on the cabinets, I like that they show on the outside. BUT... they are hard to find. Only one company makes them (Amerock) but you have to special order them.

I needed 60 hinges.

So instead, I bought this:
Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze Spray Paint.
I cleaned all the handles and hinges well.

Then, it was easy, one step... Spray. :)

The hinges aren't done, I had to spray, dry, open hinge, spray, dry, close hinge, spray, dry. You get it. So they aren't done, the ones in the after pictures are still the brushed nickel or whatever.

Before:
Sorry about the crappy picture. It is late and I don't care enough to go back :)

After:

Makes a big difference, right?
Ugh, these pics are crap. Sorry!



4 comments:

Char @ Crap I've Made said...

Oh man I love those Rustoleum metal finish paints!

Swimmingmom said...

How clever!!!! Looks fantastic!!!

Sheree said...

Wow, it looks great! I wonder if it would work on doorknobs?

Lisa said...

Great way to reuse what you had! They look terrific. Thanks for visiting Recaptured Charm today. In answer to your question, I didn't make the awning over my kitchen sink, but I had a very talented woman make it for me. So I can't help you out in the way of instructions. Sorry.
Thanks again,
Lisa