Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ice Cream Sundays

My husband has a calling at church that requires me to sit alone. Hardly alone, actually. More like parent alone. So every Sunday morning I get the kids ready and to church with plenty of time to sit close enough to the stand that Dad can give a threatening look if necessary.


My kids are young. 11, 9, 7, 6 and 4. They are okay at church. But when I am going it alone... okay doesn't always work. They need a little motivation.

My kids love ice cream, so every Sunday they start with 3 scoops of ice cream. During the hour+ meeting at church, if they are naughty, they do not get a threat from me. They do not get taken out. They get something much worse. They get 1 scoop taken away. THE HORROR!!! I made a little folder to take to church with velcro ice cream scoops. So when they are naughty, 1 scoop goes. If they get mad and even NAUGHTIER because I took a scoop, it's easy. I take 1 more.

At night when Ryan gets home, we sit down and enjoy whatever amount of scoops each child managed to keep. Sometimes, they earn chocolate sauce or sprinkles.

Today at church was day 1. My kids were angels. They have never sat so still, so straight and tall with arms folded and mouths closed. It.was.awesome! I sat in church, listening. Actually listening! I wondered why on earth I had not ever done this before. Why didn't I make this years ago?!?



Front

Inside

13 comments:

Marie said...

I LOVE it!!! My husband and I are still laughing. Definitely have to try this one! :)

Kate said...

Love it! thanks for the idea! I will for sure keep this one in mind! totally need to pass this idea along on my blog!

ditndetes said...

I started this yesterday as well since my dh works on Sundays. It was awesome! My ds lost one scoop and was fantastic after that. I've been wanting to make a chart, so maybe I'll copy cat yours!

kitchenisclosed said...

great idea!

Jessica said...

What a great idea...I think I need to make this NOW!

The Parks Family said...

OMG this idea rocks...my girls would totally go for this. Great idea!

Erin said...

Love this idea, i wonder if it works on 15 and 14 year olds. they like to make the younger ones squirm and laugh.

Lei said...

So cute, Linsey. And yet I have little faith in my children... lol.

Caldwell Family said...

That is so amazingly creative and smart!! Great job!!!

Drostan and Jennifer said...

That is genius!

Mandy said...

That is, hands down, the best idea I have ever heard. Period.

brown paper packages said...

LOVE it. Really. I can't wait ti try it!!

Jennifer said...

My SIL told me about this idea, she called it the 3 Scoop Sunday Sundae.