Thursday, May 28, 2009

Vanity and Mirror

Thanks for being patient (cough Deanna cough... just kidding, hot stuff)!!

So this is the table before:
Step 1: I roughed it up. On the table top, the paint was really peeling and cracking bad, so I completely sanded that. The legs, sides and drawers, I just sanded lightly.

Step 2: Paint. I choose a blue. I used a brush. Wasn't rocket science.

Step 3: Paint 2-3 coats.

Step 4: I brushed a stain on (dark chocolate brown). I brushed it on the entire piece vanity. After I applied everywhere, I wiped off in the order I applied. I did this twice. I wanted it to take better in the grooves.

Step 5: I was bored. It was so solid and so blue. So I was at Joanne's and found some great paper. Since I heart Mod Podge, it was perfect. I made a pattern with regular paper and used it to cut the scrapbooking paper. The drawers were a piece of cake, the front piece was bigger than the paper, so I had to match the paper the best I could. I put a coat of Mod Podge on the front of the vanity, then on the back of the paper and stuck it on. Waited 30 minutes and applied a coat of Mod Podge to the front. I did 3 coats over the top.

Step 6: I VERY LIGHTLY and with a very LIGHT GRIT sand paper, sanded over the paper.

Step 7: I used the same stain over the paper. Wiped it off. 3 times.

Step 8: I used a spray paint poly top coat, sprayed the whole thing.

Vanity: Free (Thanks Grandma Bird)
Paint: $18
Stain: already had a can, couple bucks?
Top Coat: Already had it (everyone should, same with the stain, so handy) $3
Scrapbooking paper: 3 sheets 3/$1

Time: Total, about 2 hours of work. 3 days including waiting and setting times.

Mirror Before:



I painted it with the same Blue paint. Tape it off. Paint 2 coats. Rubbed same stain on. Sprayed Poly spray paint.

Mirror: Free. These mirrors are so easy to find at garage sales and DI, but this was also Grandma Birds.
Paint & Stain: Same from the table, spray paint works awesome on these mirrors though.
Time: 20 minutes.

The Final Products!!! I love them They turned out great!!!






6 comments:

Emily Johnson said...

WOW!!!!! THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!! I LOVE IT!!! WOW!!! So cool! Way to Go!!

amerimeximadre said...

hey lins- thanks for the tutorial. from the first picture I had no idea that it was blue. now I can see that it is- very pretty and subtle. you are amazing!!

Erin said...

that is so cute. now i want to paint something, good thing it's bulk trash next week.

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

Oh my gracious! That desk is PhEnOmInAl!!! I loveeee it!

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

I'm gonna copy this tonight! You've sooo inspired me!

Renee said...

WOW!!!!! THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!!
thanks for the tutorial. from the first picture I had no idea that it was blue. now I can see that it is- very pretty and subtle. you are amazing!! Thank for sharing..
--
Reenee
Best Affordable Security Systems Suitable for Renters and Apartments, Business and RV