Sunday, May 31, 2009

Fab Floor

And so easy!!
Here is the room before:
First, I scoured the internet. I had NO IDEA how hard it would be to find Black and White Vinyl tiles. I went to every flooring store in all of Salt Lake County. NOTHING. Lowe's carries it but only at the "midwest" stores. I could have ordered it from them but it was pricey and wold have taken 5-8 weeks to get here. Forget that.

I finally found them at a wholesale website. If I could remember the link I would tell you. So they were a great price, ($9/box, 30 tiles/box) best I could find anywhere. But.... shipping was nuts. The total cost of my tile was about $60. I ordered plenty so that if a tile ever needed to be replaced, I would have plenty left over. Shipping was $100!!! YIKES!!!

They are the peel and stick. Self-adhesive, giant vinyl stickers.

They were here quick, about 5 business days.

Next I tore out the carpet. I did not even break a single fingernail in the process. Which, in my book makes for a very successful project!


Next, just to be sure it stuck well, I primed the floor. I bought a primer at Home Depot. It came in a gallon, I poured it all over the floor and rolled it with a paint roller. Not perfect, just got it on there. In hindsight, I would have done a leveler, which basically levels out your subfloor before you lay your tile. My floor was level, except where the board seams were, they didn't match perfectly, so I wish I would have filled it. But oh well. Not a perfectionist, remember?

Next I laid the tile. I sectioned the room in quarters, finding the middle point and working out.
Peel off the backing, and get it as close and tight to the other tiles.

On edges, I used a piece of paper as a pattern to know how much to cut. Corners, anywhere, make a pattern with paper so it fits snug.

Someday I will lower my baseboards, but not this week.

It took about 30 minutes to lay all the uncut pieces and about 1.5 hours to do all the cut pieces.

I LOVE it. It makes the room.

5 comments:

Alissa said...

just to be clear... it's peel n stick lino? it's totally cute!

we're planning to do peel n stick lino in our master bathroom redo, eventually.

Linsey said...

Yeah, duh. The peel and stick. I went bck in and edited that little bit of key info :) How is your house coming, Alyssa?

Snigger Fam said...

That looks awesome! We did peel and stick in our kitchen. I was worried it wouldn't last long. But for the whole kitchen we spent $80. It's been a few years and it still looks great! It is also VERY easy to clean.

Gina @ The Shabby Chic Cottage said...

I have that in my dining room! I had it through my laundry room, kitchen & dining room, but water damage meant we had to pull up the floors and we are sadly replacing it all. I'm gonna miss that floor!

I wondered how your chalk board went. I'm thinking of having a chalk board party (I need a snazzier name) in a couple of weeks, would you like to join in? Let me know, because I'm not going to use Mr. Linky, I'm going to put the links directly into my post.

Have a blessed day!

Renee said...

it's totally cute!we're planning to do peel n stick lino in our master bathroom ....thanks ..
--
Reenee
Best Affordable Security Systems Suitable for Renters and Apartments, Business and RV