Thursday, September 18, 2008

Ghetto Fabulous Crayons

So some of you asked about the crayons....Thanks for asking!

If you are anything like me, and hopefully you are not TOO much like me because if you are... sorry. But, we have a million broken crayons. VERY few whole crayons. Most of them are missing the paper wrapper. Some are not. Either way our crayon collection is pretty ghetto. And not in the fabulous way.

So we make them new fabulous crayons. I keep saying the word fabulous because Sunny actually calls them fabulous. Every time the color changes she says "Oh my goodness this is fabulous". Thank you Miss Fancy Nancy for making my daughters vocabulary so extensive. (Side note: Today she learned that Plume is a fancy word for feathers. How stinking cute is that???) If you have a daughter, you really need some Fancy new books. Anyway, where was I? Oh, right... crayons.

So every once and awhile we collect all of our broken down crayons in a bowl, along with a box or two of new crayons. We sit and talk about stuff (sometimes we talk about The Bachelorette, to each their own...) while we unwrap the crayons. Sunny loves this part. She loves when she finally gets the whole wrapper off. She does one while I do the other 29. Cutie. Then we break them all, she also thinks this is fun. My boys especially love this part. Not only are they allowed to break stuff, but I am asking them to. Break each crayon (if it is whole) into maybe 3 or 4 pieces. Watch Finn though, he eats those little bite size Crayola pieces.

Next I usually do this part really carefully. This batch though I let Sunny have free reign, which honestly I ought to let her do more often, they aren't my crayons after all. Anyway, when I do it I like to mix the oranges, yellows and reds in one crayon. The blues, greens and yellows in another. You get the idea. But Sunny likes to put a little of this and a little of that and a little Pink in every.single.one. Just for good measure. Actually it was probably to make sure the boys wouldn't WANT this batch. Sneaky girl... So we used mini muffin tins this time. Somewhere in a cupboard I have some cute tins I have collected at various stores, mostly Hobby Lobby and Michael's, that are airplanes and hearts and Easter eggs and junk like that.

Pile the broken crayons in the tins, you can pile them in good, a little taller than the tin if you want because they shrink. Mix them however you want. I put them in the oven at 350 or 400 depending on how late it is. It only takes about 5 minutes so keep a close eye. They will melt until they are totally liquid. Then you take them out of the oven and set them on the stove top or somewhere away from where little hands can reach and let them cool. For awhile, I usually make them and night and the are hardened by morning. Pop them out, it's easy since they are wax. Be sure to have some coloring books on hand and some good shows on DVR because once they start coloring my kids will color for a very long time!

And there you have Ghetto Fabulous Crayons!!

So, out of curiosity, how do you pronounce Crayon? I know the proper way (at least it is MY proper way) but be honest, do you say it fancy like Cray-yawn or do you say it a little more ghetto like Cren. Bet you can't guess how I say it.... Here is a clue... My English stinks, just ask my Father-in-law. I can't get no wronger.


0 comments: